Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A trip to Qatar

I know, it has been a while since posting last. I can do better.

   I was invited to work in Qatar gilding in a new construction palace last Dec and Jan. (2013-14) It was an experience I shall never forget. 16 hr flight to get there. One stop and plane change in Amsterdam. While there changing planes I bumped into my friend Tania Seabock who I knew for many years but never met in real life. She too was part of the gilding team. It is a small world!
  The working conditions were not the most ideal. Lots of dust and dirt, thousands of laborers, other trades working where we were gilding, languages of all sorts, and quite a bit of "too many chiefs", none of who talked to each other.
  My first problem here was that it seems the British use loose leaf and gilders tips for ceiling work and architectural gilding. I am very proficient with patent leaf and rolls but the gilders tip was new adventure for me. With the help of Tania and some "tips" from a few of my new British friend gilders, it only took a couple days to get the hang of it and to have enough speed to not be embarrassed.
   We were using Lefranc-Bourgeois 12 hour oil size. Not quite as good as the old size with lead, but worked just fine for what we needed. I liked it better than the Rolco Artisans size. And our gold leaf was who else but Manetti. While in Qatar, the gilding team had a meeting with Battiloro Manetti, the CEO of the company. It was quite the honor for all of us to meet him.
  I am home now in Connecticut working in my studio playing with gelatin size and silver leaf! More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment