Friday, April 1, 2011

In the Beginning

We all start somewhere. Some read a book, get a "kit", take a class, or just experiment. I was fortunate enough to be hired and trained by a large nationally known decorative painting company. My first trainer, and I use that word loosely, was not very good at all. The second one, from Germany was first class. I was taught how, when, and why, and why not. Like a lot of things, making mistakes can be very educational. The first thing you learn with metal leaf when you make a mistake is that 99% of the time, you have to start over from scratch! Gilding can be unforgiving. Done right, extremely rewarding.
 My first job was using a water base size and 23ct gold. A combination I would probably not use today unless it was high on a ceiling. I find, as most gilders do, that oil size with real gold allows for a much more brilliant glow. It can tend to be a little matte looking on the water base. With composite leaf it works just fine.
 Of the water base (wb) sizes, two brands are the most common. Rolco Aqua size, and Wunda size. I personally prefer the Rolco Aqua, it will cure hard and the Wunda stays somewhat "gummy" never really getting hard. Both stay open for quite a long time, Aqua holding a tack for 24-36 hrs, depending some on climate, and Wunda the same and longer. I have a friend that went back on a job a year later for touch up and the Wunda still had tack. Probably had dirt too.
 Tack for both, meaning its ready to leaf, takes about 20-30 minutes. The knuckle test. You want to lightly touch a knuckle to it and pull away. You should hear a click. I like to do that plus I tend to lightly slide my knuckle, listening for the initial click and at the same time feeling a smooth somewhat hardening surface. After enough experience you'll know what I mean.
 My second job was with oil size, and that's another day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment